Let's Talk Lashes
DID YOU KNOW?
Even though eyelashes are often regarded as an emphasis of beauty, their primary function is to reduce the airflow over the eyeball (dry eyes from too much air is the enemy of eyeballs) and then to also protect the eyes from small particles such as dust and debris from entering and harming them.
Lashes are also very clever and have a sensory system which tells the eyelid to close if there is ‘danger’ to protect them.
When eyelash extensions are applied correctly they will not damage your natural lashes. Lash extensions only become damaging when applied using improper techniques.
For instance, when an extension that is too heavy for the natural lash has been applied (or too many lashes to one natural lash) it can cause the natural lash to break.
That’s why lash experts should select and apply a lash extension that is the appropriate weight and length to ensure the integrity of the natural so that the lash is not harmed.
The condition above is real and can be caused by incorrectly applied and uncared for lash extensions. Extensions correctly applied will NOT do this to your natural lashes.
Always have your lash health in mind with every set you do, but also
we encourage aftercare which includes educating your clients not to pull and tug at their extensions.
No one wants to look like this, so make sure you take care of your lashes!
True or False - Salt water and chlorine will harm your lashes.......
Research has shown that salt water & chlorine will NOT affect your extensions … however swimming might!
Each time you emerge from the water, we have a habit of aggressively wiping our eyes to rid the water. Repetitively doing this is what is going to damage your extensions and shorten their life.
Our Eyelash Cycle:
We have built an empire of qualified lash technicians totally devoted to maintaining your lash extensions but they cannot control the natural cycle.......
Our lash growth follows a very specific growth cycle, it grows to a certain length then falls out, before an eyelash falls out they will go though three stages of lash growth.....
The average human has between 150-200 upper lid eyelashes and between 70-100 lower lid lashes and these lashes will replace themselves over a 60-90 day cycle time period. When one lash falls out, another is waiting to take its place.
Depending on the lash cycle, it is generally estimated that the average human will lose between 1 to 7 natural lashes per day.
So it is ‘normal’ for your client to lose 1 to 7 of their extensions per day too.
1) ANAGEN PHASE:
Also known as growth phase, initial phase of the lash cycle. Eyelashes are now actively growing and this stage lasts between 4-6 weeks or until the natural lash has reached its full length.
2) CATAGEN PHASE:
Also known as the transition phase, during this phase the lash stop growing, and the hair follicle start to shrink. It pushes the lash upwards and disconnects from the blood supply.....
These are the lashes we love lashing!
It's not yet ready to shed and start the lash cycle anew. If an eyelash is pulled out in this stage, the lash cycle is disrupted and the follicle will take even longer to grow back, and that's if the hair follicle isn't permanently damaged. This phase lasts around 2-3 weeks.
3) TELOGEN PHASE:This is the final stage of the lash cycle also known as resting phase
At this point, the hair has stopped growing and it’s preparing to shed, starting the growth cycle again. This phase can last up to 3 months.
- Natural Lash Cycle ~ We lose lashes everyday this is totally normal and natural.
- Your sleeping style ~ We all want to comfortable when sleeping and we all have our own positions, some sleep on their stomachs or in weird positions may have issues with their lash extensions falling off. Rubbing your face into a pillow every night can cause your lashes to bend and rub against the adhesive and pop off. We recommend 3D sleep masks to help with this.
- Incorrect application ~ There is a possibility for error, check your humidity, age of your glue, room temp etc... or the lash may not have been properly glued. Pre cleansing the lashes before application is very important for this we recommend 100% oil free lash cleanser.
- Poor after care regime ~ To extend the life of your lashes using a good lash cleanser daily is recommended. You want to make sure you maintain your lashes; after all, you invested hard earned money for those extensions!
- Using Oily Skincare products ~ Oily skincare products is defiantly not to be used and avoided around the eye area by all means possible. Oily breaks down the adhesive of your extensions.
- Using lash stimulators ~ Products such as Revitlash etc... as considered lash stimulators..... they are fantastic product but can cause your lashes to fall out quicker as they stimulate growth, speeding up the natural lash cycle. If you use these products they should not burn your eyes at all and should be discarded immediately. You may require fills sooner than you normally would. We do however recommend that you use lash stimulators as more lashes will also grow leading to thicker lash line and that means more lashes to lash!
- Medication ~ medications such as thyroid meds can change the environment of the lash area making lashes dryer, oilier or even more brittle. If you are taken medication your lashes may respond differently. Many different medications out there that changes your body's makeup and make lash extensions not stick as well as we would like.
- Vitamins~ If you take vitamins that encourage or stimulate hair growth then your lashes may shed faster.
- Oily skin or over active oil glands ~ Meibomianitis occurs when the meibomian glands in the eyelids don't work properly. Excess oil released from these glands will accumulate on the eyelids. As the oil accumulates, bacteria that are normally present in the eyes and skin begin to multiply. This could lead to many different types of skin conditions and due to all the oil build up the eyelash extension may have a hard time staying put!
- Wearing mascara / waterproof makeup ~ What a great benefit of not having to wear mascara. Mascara can break down the bonds in the adhesive of the extensions.
Benefits of Eyelash Extensions